Obtaining approval for your graduation application
All Biology Major graduation applicants for SUMMER 2013 MUST complete an ONLINE SURVEY (not yet available) before the Department will approve the graduation application. Your input will help the Department improve its programs and courses for all Biology students. Go to the Graduation Checklist web page to find out more about the survey. Click here to download the graduation application directions shown here as a PDF.
NOTE: SF State also requires completion of an Exit Survey, before the University will approve the graduation application. This is a different survey from the Biology Department online survey. Graduation applicants must complete BOTH the Biology Department and SF State surveys for approval of their graduation application.
To access the Baccalaureate Degree Application, click here and complete the SF State Graduation Exit Survey. The graduation application form also has useful graduation FAQs. Please note that students should apply for graduation only if they believe they will have satisfied all degree requirements by the end of the term in which they have applied. Specify on the graduation application the student is applying for SUMMER 2013 graduation.
- submit advisor-approved graduation application to the Department of Biology (HH534) by Friday, Jul 5, 4pm.
- submit department-approved graduation application with application fee ($100) receipt to the One Stop Center by Friday, Jul 12, 5pm.
The student should bring to the meeting with the Biology Advisor:
- a Department of Biology Major-specific Graduation Checklist filled out prior to meeting with the advisor (See the Graduation Checklist web page to see how to fill out the Checklist)
- the Graduation Application, with the Majors course work listed in the same order that the classes appear in the Major-specific Graduation Checklist
- a copy of his/her unofficial SFSU transcripts
- a copy of his/her Advanced Standing Evaluation (ASE) and Degree Audit Report (DARS)
- current course enrollment
- Department of Biology Equivalency and Substitution Forms that have ALREADY BEEN APPROVED by the advisor and Department. For information on approval of transfer units and substitutions see:
- Courses transferred into the major must be listed as they appear on the transcript from the transfer institution (Course number and name).
- Upper division GE courses are not generally allowed as upper division electives. In some cases, one course can be used if it is appropriate to the student's career/educational goals.
After obtaining the Advisor's signature, the student drops off at the Department of Biology Office for review:
- Completed Biology Major Graduation Checklist Completed and advisor-approved Baccalaureate Degree Application
- Completed and approved Biology Equivalency Forms
- Completed and approved Biology Substitution Forms
- copy of Unofficial SFSU Transcripts
The student does not need to meet with the Chair of the Department. Note that the transcripts and Department forms must accompany the application. Typically, it is best to allow one week for review of your application before picking it up from the Biology Department Office. The graduation application will not be returned until the student completes the online survey.
After the petition has been reviewed and approved, the student is responsible for picking up the petition from the Department Office. The student pays the graduation application fee at the Bursar's Office in the Administration Building. After the student pays the fee, the student may submit the graduation application (and the accompanying forms) to the One Stop Student Services Center.